A girl in Massachusetts saved her family from carbon monoxide poisoning by holding her unconscious father’s cell phone up to her face so she could unlock it and call 911.
Jayline Barbosa Brandao, 9, was in her room when she heard her dad call for help before he fainted, WFXT reported.
“I heard my dad scream and say my mom fainted,” Jayline told the news station.
She ran to her parents’ bedroom, where she found them both unconscious.
The girl reacted quickly and grabbed her father’s phone but it was locked. Considering the potentially appalling circumstances, Jayline remained calm and, in her words, “I unlocked it using my dad’s face.”
‘THROUGH THE MOON DANKETA’: a man who saved a senior from a Toronto fire, praised as a hero
A nanny hit by a car praised as a “hero” for pushing boys to safety
A Vietnamese girl survives a 12-story dive thanks to a miraculous capture
The fourth-grade student called 911, emergency crews rushed to the home, and all five family members were taken to hospital, WFXT reported.
They have all recovered.
The Brandao family used a generator to power parts of their home, about 30 miles south of Boston, after a nor’pass left them without electricity for days.
The nine-year-old’s mother said they thought the generator was installed in a safe place and used it only for short periods of time, but with it installed too close to their house, the carbon monoxide filled the home.
“I thought it was just a headache, then two, three minutes, I didn’t feel anything after that,” said the mother.
The next thing she remembered was waking up in the hospital and she believes her little girl saved her life.
“Oh yes, she did. I wouldn’t be here if she wasn’t in the house. ”