Liverpool’s horrific attack: Suspected bomber exploits Britain’s “dysfunctional” asylum system, says Priti Patel | UK News

Priti Patel said the suspected Liverpool terrorist was able to exploit Britain’s “dysfunctional” asylum system to stay in the country.

During a three-day visit to Washington, the UKs home secretary said the system was a “complete carousel” with an “entire industry” dedicated to defending the rights of individuals intended to cause harm.

It comes as a new analysis shows that most migrants crossing the English Channel to the UK are refugees fleeing persecution.

Image:
Home Secretary Priti Patel said Britain’s asylum system was a “complete carousel”

Terror suspect Emad Al Swealmeen is understood to arrived in the UK from the Middle East in 2014 and had an application for asylum rejected the following year, but was still in the country. He reportedly suffered from mental health problems.

The 32-year-old died in an an explosion outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital in a taxi shortly before 11 a.m. on Memorial Sunday.

La UK terror threat level has since risen from large to severe since the event – indicating an attack is “very likely” rather than “likely”.

Ms Patel told reporters during her flight to the US capital that the case proved the government was right to reform the asylum system.

More on Liverpool Terrible Attack

She was quoted as saying: “The case in Liverpool was a complete reflection of how malfunctioning, how broken the system has been in the past, and why I want to promote changes.

“It’s a complete carousel and it’s been exploited. A whole kind of professional legal service industry has been based on rights of appeal, going to court every day at the expense of taxpayers with legal aid. That effectively we need to change.”

She added: “These people have come to our country and abused British values, abused the values ​​of the fabric of our country and our society.

“And as a result, there’s an entire industry that thinks it’s fair to defend these individuals who are causing the most heinous crimes against British citizens, ruining their lives, ruining communities – and that’s completely wrong.”

Please use a Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Britain’s level of terrorist threat has risen

However, new research by the Refugee Council indicates that only a third of migrants crossing the English Channel would not be allowed to remain in the UK, and that the “majority of people crossing the Channel are likely to be recognized as in need of protection.”

The charity, using statistics from the Interior Ministry and data obtained through freedom of information laws, found that between January 2020 and June this year, 91% of migrants came from 10 countries where human rights abuses and persecution are common – including Afghanistan. , Iran, Syria, Iraq, Sudan, Eritrea and Yemen.

Migrants in the English Channel
Image:
Nearly two-thirds of migrants crossing the English Channel are genuine refugees, research indicates.

For the top 10 countries of origin arriving by small boat, 61% of initial decisions made in the 18 months to June 2021 would result in the protection of refugees, the research also suggested.

But last month, Ms Patel claimed that seven out of ten of those traveling to Britain across the Channel were “not genuine asylum seekers” and the government was “concentrating” its efforts on “creating a safe passage for genuine refugees”.

“Only in the last 12 months 70% of the individuals who have come to our country illegally by small boats are unmarried men who are actually economic migrants. They are not genuine asylum seekers,” she told the Lord Justice and Home Affairs.

“They are able to pay the smugglers … These are the ones who elbow the women and children who are at risk and flee persecution.”

Migrants at a temporary camp on the site of a former industrial complex in Grande-Synthe, east of Dunkirk, as French police evacuate migrants from the site where at least 1,500 people have gathered in hopes of crossing the English Channel to Britain.  .  Image date: Tuesday, November 16, 2021.
Image:
Migrants in Dunkirk, northern France, hoping to make it across the English Channel

Al Swealmeen converted from Islam to Christianity and was not supposed to be known to MI5 – and there are reports of growing concern within the Home Office over the role on the Church of England in converting asylum seekers.

An unnamed source quoted in The Sun said one issue being considered is whether he was prompted by an “unresolved complaint” with the Home Office about a bid to become a UK resident in 2014.

Malcolm Hitchcott, who along with his wife Elizabeth took Swealmeen into their home to live with them, said the suspect came to Liverpool Anglican Cathedral in 2015 and wanted to convert to Christianity.

He said the suspected terrorist contacted them in 2017 when he was “desperate” to stay somewhere.

To Swealmeen Made by Adam Parker
Image:
Al Swealmeen converted from Islam to Christianity

“He came here on 1 April 2017. He was with us then for eight months, and during that time we saw him really flourish in relation to his Christian faith,” Mr Hitchcott told BBC Radio Merseyside.

“He really had a passion for Jesus that I would like to have many Christians, and he was ready to learn.

“He liked to read his Bible and every night we used to pray – my wife and he, and if there was anyone else in the house – we prayed for half an hour or more and studied the scriptures.

“He was absolutely genuine, as far as I could tell. I was in no doubt before the time he left us at the end of those eight months that he was a Christian.”

Please use a Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

A “controlled” explosion following a Liverpool terror incident

An Islamist plot is understood as one line of investigation being considered by police, although investigators remain open-minded and the motivation is yet to be established.

It is still believed that the hospital was the intended target of the attack.

An aerial photo of police action after an explosion at Liverpool Women's Hospital killed one person and injured another on Sunday.  Suspected terrorist Emad Al Swealmeen, 32, died after the device exploded in a taxi shortly before 11 a.m. on Memorial Sunday.  Image date: Tuesday, November 16, 2021.
Image:
Aerial photo of police action after an explosion at Liverpool Women’s Hospital

Assistant Police Chief Russ Jackson, of Counter-Terrorism Police North West, previously told reporters that police believed Swealmeen had “fabricated” the explosive itself.

The investigation also explores other possibilities, including whether the main charge on the device did not explode and whether the homemade explosive TATP was used.

Police searched properties on Rutland Avenue, where Swealmeen was taken in the taxi, as well as a second address on Sutcliffe Street where officers believe he previously lived.

Four men arrested in connection with the blast have now been released from custody after an interview, Greater Manchester Police said.

Police continued to appeal for any information about the incident or the alleged attacker.

Leave a Comment