Ottawa sex predator sentenced to 5 years in prison

Article content

Sexual predator Jody Royer’s horrific campaign of degeneration and violence targeting Ottawa sex workers has ended.


Article content

But for the five women who have come forward, its effects will last a lifetime.

Royer, 61, was sent to prison for five years for sadistic sexual assault and abuse of five women dating back to 2012. The verdict was issued by Ontario Court Justice Robert Wadden on October 29.

Royer, a government entrepreneur and football coach, pleaded guilty and spared the women’s lawsuit.

One woman described her time with Royer as torturous. He used braces on her genitals against her will as she screamed in pain. He then forced her to open her jaw and urinate into her mouth and forced her to swallow it, according to an agreed statement of facts filed in court.

She was bruised and emotionally shattered.

“When I think back to that day, I feel full of emotion. Shame, disappointment, anger and above all, pure confusion … What happened to me leaves me with the feeling of being stuck in a nightmare from which I cannot wake up,” one woman said in an impact statement filed in court.


Article content

She now lives in a constant state of anxiety and depression.

“On that day, you took a piece from me, leaving a hole that never healed, and I’m not sure it will ever do.”

In another violent attack that took place in a hotel room in 2014, Royer grabbed a victim by the throat, pushed her against the wall and then tried to force her to swallow her own body fluids. She had difficulty trying to breathe.

It was at that moment that two Ottawa police officers knocked on the door after the hotel called them saying she was using the room for the sex trade. Police kicked her out of the hotel room and drove her to a shelter.

When police dropped her off at the shelter, she said it aroused past trauma as an abuser. In her statement of effect, she said she felt like a criminal and a victim: “I saw confusion in the police: on the one hand, they came to drive me out of the hotel, and on the other hand, they saved me from a nightmare that had begun.”


Article content

Worse, the young woman said there was a language barrier with the police. In her own words, she said she could barely speak English then.

In a touching impact statement, the woman said she used alcohol to suffocate her inner pain. “I needed substances to keep my head out of the water … I still have nightmares about this event that happened in Ottawa.”

Royer was not arrested until May 13, 2021.

Another woman said her time with Royer was the worst of her time in her 10 years in the business.

In another sexual assault, Royer pinned a woman on a bed and she could not breathe.

In one of his attacks, Royer struck a woman’s head on a table, rubbing her face into her own body fluids. She felt humiliated and compared it to being treated like an animal that had been punished. She now suffers from PTSD.

During the investigation, Ottawa police’s human trafficking unit, led by Det. Cindy Cybulski, worked to gain the trust of the sex workers to build a case against Royer. The case was prosecuted by Crown Attorney Meaghan Cunningham, a sex crimes specialist and champion for victims.



Postmedia is committed to maintaining a vibrant but civil forum for discussion and encourages all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments can take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We’ve enabled email notifications — you’ll now receive an email if you receive a response to your comment, an update to a comment thread you’re following, or a user following comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

Leave a Comment