Queen Elizabeth twists back, will not attend the Remembrance Sunday event

LONDON – Queen Elizabeth II has twisted her back and will not be attending the Sunday Memorial Service in central London to remember Britain’s dead, Buckingham Palace said on Sunday.

The queen decided “with great regret” that she could not attend the service, and was “disappointed” to miss the event, officials said in a statement. The service was expected to be the 95-year-old monarch’s first public appearance after cancellation of events in recent weeks on the advice of doctors.

“As in previous years, a wreath will be laid on behalf of Her Majesty by The Prince of Wales,” the statement said. Other members of the royal family will attend as planned.

Remembrance Sunday is one of the most important events on the calendar for the queen, who served in World War II as a military driver.

Officials at Buckingham Palace said on Thursday she planned to watch the ceremony at the Cenotaph monument in central London from a balcony, as she had done for several years.

The queen spent a night in a London hospital last month after being admitted for tests. On October 29, the palace said she was ordered to rest for two weeks. She canceled plans to attend the UN climate summit in Glasgow, Scotland, but sent a video message.

The queen continued to work from home, doing desk-based duties, during her period of rest. She spent most of the time at Windsor Castle, west of London, and made a weekend visit to Sandringham, the East England estate of the royal family.

Britain’s longest-serving and reigning monarch, Elizabeth is due to celebrate her Platinum Jubilee – 70 years on the throne – next year.

.

Leave a Comment