Raiders receiver Henry Ruggs III ordered to appear in court after missing alcohol test – CBS San Francisco

LAS VEGAS (AP) – A Las Vegas judge has ordered former Raiders receiver Henry Ruggs III to appear before her on Monday after he learned he missed a required alcohol test during a house arrest after a fatal crash he is accused of causing while drunk on speed up to. 156 mph.

Ruggs’ lawyers told Justice of the Peace Suzan Baucum that Ruggs had “self-tested” negative shortly after missing one of his calls for a breath test last weekend.

READ MORE: CBS News Investigation Brings Change To Federal Vehicle Safety Laws Protecting Children In The Back Seat

Ruggs’ attorney, David Chesnoff, blamed the delay on a problem with test equipment.

A note posted later in the court file shows that Ruggs missed a test at 4:41 pm on Saturday and that he completed a “customer initiated remote breathing test” at 6:28 pm

The alcohol control agency noted that it “cannot confirm Mr. Rugg’s sobriety at this time,” and said Ruggs ‘attorney provided an updated phone number for text notifications for Ruggs’ remote breath test.

Ruggs, 22, was not in court on Wednesday for the brief hearing during which Baucum also told her lawyers she would not issue a subpoena for firefighting over the Nov. 2 fatal crash and fire. The judge said the lawyers can get those records on their own.

Ruggs could face a return to prison. A judge who set his bail at $ 150,000 warned Ruggs directly that if he did not comply with release restrictions he would face re-arrest.

Ruggs is in a home prison with electronic monitoring and four-time-a-day alcohol checks. He is required to answer a phone or text signal by blowing into a device that monitors his blood alcohol level. Records show he owns a $ 1.1 million home not far from where the crash occurred.

Prosecutors said Ruggs’ blood alcohol level after the crash was 0.16%, twice the legal limit for drivers in Nevada.

READ MORE: Update: Earthquake Swarm Rattles Nerves In Danville, San Ramon

Authorities said he and his girlfriend, Kiara Je’nai Kilgo-Washington, were injured when Ruggs’ Chevrolet Corvette crashed into the back of Tina Tintor’s Toyota Rav4, bursting the tank of that vehicle.

His lawyers said in court files that a witness told them firefighters were slow to extinguish flames. They did not identify the witness.

Other witnesses told police they heard screams and tried to save Tintor, 23, and her dog, but were repulsed by heat, flames and smoke.

A Clark County spokesman said there were no delays in the firefighting response or the attack on the fire.

Baucum set up a preliminary hearing on Dec. 16 on two felony charges of driving under the influence causing death or serious injury. Each charge carries two years of mandatory prison time for conviction, and as much as 20 years each.

Ruggs also faces two criminal reckless driving charges and a felony weapons charge after police said a loaded handgun was found in his wrecked sports car.

Prosecutors said Ruggs suffered a leg injury and Washington underwent surgery for an arm injury.

Chesnoff and attorney Richard Schonfeld are fighting separately to prevent prosecutors from accessing Ruggs’ medical records, and a Washington attorney has launched a similar effort on her behalf. A hearing on December 8 is scheduled.

MORE NEWS: 2 Killed In Lodi Stabbing Attack; Suspect Imprisoned

The Raiders made Ruggs his first pick in Alabama’s 2020 NFL draft, where he helped the Crimson Tide win the 2017 NCAA Championship. He was an emerging star for the Raiders this season but the team released him after his arrest in the crash.


Leave a Comment