The “disappointed” Queen will miss the Memorial Sunday event after a twist of her back, Buckingham Palace confirmed.
The “disappointed” Queen will miss today’s Remembrance Sunday event after a twist of her back, Buckingham Palace confirmed.
Her Majesty, 95 years old, had to make her first official appearance after a rest for a month under the orders of a doctor to lead the nation in a commemoration of our brave soldiers.
But the Palace said she would not attend the service at the Cenotaph now and was “disappointed to miss the event”, The sunreports.
Other royal families will still be present – including Prince Charles, who will lay a wreath for her.
A statement from Buckingham Palace read: “The Queen, twisting her back, decided this morning with great regret that she would not be able to attend today’s Memorial Sunday Service at the Cenotaph.
“Her Majesty is disappointed that she will miss the service.”
The queen was recently advised to retire from official duties of doctors after spending the night in hospital.
She missed the Festival of Remembrance last night, but aides said it was her “firm intention” to attend today’s service.
Her Majesty missed the event only six times during her reign – either pregnant or away during a tour.
It is understood that the twist is recent and unrelated to the advice of her doctors to rest.
She will now remain at Windsor Castle and is reportedly “deeply disappointed” to miss the moving service today.
Sources say there were concerns about how a car trip to London and a period of standing could affect her injury.
A two-minute silence will be held at 11 a.m. to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice fighting for their country.
Hundreds of soldiers will line up around the Cenotaph and nearly 10,000 veterans will march past the war memorial as the event returns to pre-Covid numbers.
Last year, the pandemic meant that the number of veterans and military present was limited and the ceremony closed to the public.
Instead the Royal British Legion asked the British to display a poppy in their windows.
Ahead of the ceremony, the prime minister said: “Today we gather to remember those who sacrificed everything for service to our country, in the First World War and every conflict since then, including recently in Iraq and Afghanistan.
“It is a sacred ceremony that has lasted for more than a century because we know the priceless debt we owe to those brave soldiers and women.
“We know that for our tomorrow they gave theirs today. And we know that here at home and around the world, thousands of men and women in uniform still stand ready to defend our unity and our way of life, our values, and at a cost few of us would be willing to pay.
“We are meeting today. We carry our poppies with pride and stand as a nation in two minutes of silent tribute. “
This story originally appeared on The Sun and was reissued with permission.