Wives pay homage to poisoned “best friends” on a homemade boat in York

The wives of two men who tragically died of carbon monoxide poisoning while on a boat that was moored in York paid a loving tribute to the two “best friends”.

An investigation on Thursday in Northallerton concluded that Stephen Jewitt, 63, and Ronald Holmes, 60, died on December 4, 2019 from poisoning a diesel electric heater that had been purchased on Ebay and installed on the homemade boat. A distraction .

The boat moored at the River Ouse near The Museum Gardens.

For all the latest news in York click here

Mr Holmes’ wife, from Castleford, West Yorkshire, paid tribute to him in a statement read saying he had worked as an engineer at a power plant where he met his “best friend of 20 years” Mr Holmes.

Elaine Holmes said the two families were vacationing together and that Mr. Holmes’ hobbies included motorcycling and boating.

He began building his own boat in 1999 and, after it was finished the following year and stationed at a boatyard in Naburn Lock, Mr Holmes and his family and friends regularly went on trips with him in it.



The two men were found inside the boat
The two men were found inside the boat

Mrs. Holmes said, “We had many happy nights and days.”

She said Mr Holmes bought the diesel selector heater from Ebay in 2017 and was “careful and very proud of his boat”.

Mr Jewett’s wife, from Goole, East Yorkshire, also read a statement in court in which she said her husband was a “likeable grandfather” and a “very busy man” who loved cars and “repaired them until they became computerized “.

Jeanette Jewett said: “He was very popular and just wanted to help people.

“He always rang and was happiest when he fixed things.”

She said she was on the boat a few times and that the two men went on it “regularly”.



The boat was moored along the river Ouse
The boat was moored along the river Ouse

The inquest heard that the two men and another friend named Christopher Hunter had taken the boat into York on December 3 for a night out with elderly co-workers.

Mr Hunter went home early but said that when he left that “everyone was in a good mood and there were no problems or worries”.

PCSO went to check on the boat the next day after the calls in question were around 4pm but received no response. Another police officer left later in the evening after receiving a call from an anxious Mrs. Holmes.

The officer said: “She needed to know where her husband is and needed to know if he was poisoned. She was in tears.”

The officer managed to make his way onto the boat and found the two men dead in a cabin. They were pronounced dead on the 21st and were reported to have been “deceased for some time”.

Enter your zip code to see local issues near you

The court also heard from Sir Raymond Howe, the shipyard at Naburn Lock, who said he had conducted a safety inspection of A distraction several months earlier.

The boat, which was “very well built,” passed the inspection which meant it wouldn’t need one for another four years. But Mr Howe said he had warned Mr Holmes that he would have to install a carbon monoxide monitor, which would soon become mandatory on boats.

Mr. Rob Loder, who inspected the boat after the death of the two men on behalf of the Marine Accident Investigation Branch, also gave evidence and said he concluded that the source of the carbon monoxide leak in the cabin was from the diesel-fused cabin of the boat. heater exhaust.

He also said that the exhaust heater of the cabin heater was not designed for marine use and that its connection to the exhaust pipe system was not gas tight, which was how the gas came into the cabin.

The cabin ventilation system did not meet the requirements of the Boat Safety Scheme and this may have increased the rate at which the carbon monoxide accumulated in the cabin space of the boat.

He also said the two men were not alerted to the danger because a carbon monoxide alarm was not appropriate.

Chief coroner for North Yorkshire Jon Heath concluded that the two men both died from carbon monoxide poisoning in what was registered as accidental death.

To receive the latest email updates from North Yorkshire Live, Click here .

.

Leave a Comment